Clouds what are in ours today?

Friday, November 12, 2010

Bikeshare Program in DC Who knew? and Who is it really for?

Well by now a lot of you have seen the clutches of bicycles all over the city. Most are near the subway lines and in well lit areas. The access point is your credit card  and it goes by the amount of times that you keep the bikes.  I went around the city last week taking photos to see exactly who was putting the new mode of transportation to use and why. I interviewed a few people that were in seemingly in awe as I was about the bike share the newest name that techno nerds gave this mode of transport. I first spied the bikes uptown next to the Reeves Building during my evening foray near that part of town. Across the street is the street the 24/7 Vegan deli store and the Noodle a 'Hot Spot" that young professionals flock to during their weekends off. I have seen skirted woman jumping on the bikes and making a mad dash to the next subway stop or even to meet up with a suitor that evening. What I have failed to see is a lot of People of color accessing the bikes. I do see the benefits of the bikes whereas you can use it for quick, short rides but what I failed to see was the overall importance of it. Maybe I am missing something here? I asked a black gentleman one day as I targeted Minnesota Ave near Dupont Park area to photograph the Bike Share racks that they have there. He sided up to me and said"Hi there Miss "do you work for these people?" I glanced back at him eager for some type of dialogue from someone that lived in this area, and responded"Yeah sort of" and smiled. The man said 'well to me it seems like a waste of money because most people around here don't utilize the bikes'. My point exactly who was there at the meetings and the decisions to incorporate the monies enlisted for this project? I never heard anything or is it just me? perhaps they spoke of this but under another psuedonym because Capital Bike Share wasn't told to most folks until it was upon us. It just goes to show the disconnect problem that DC government has with its residents and home owners. This could of been a marvelous idea but the marketing and projected niche is just not where they are putting them and the people that use it aren't the ones that live right there where they are all at. I see them in areas like East of the River where there is a lot of unemployment  and not many riders of bikes. The word on the street was that the company had to put them everywhere because it would have been discrimination okay! we know that but still come on couldn't we as a government for the people by the people have come up with something more feasible for the residents to use? or was this for just some?? Again I wouldn't see a reason for a man or woman riding one of those and you don't even have a job? Then I look at the fact that there are a lot of young black females on this side of town (East of The River) with young children and there is not a basket or wagon attached to any of them. The biggest question that I pose is the fact of cost and who will end of paying the most for the tax that it is sure to impose! Whenever there is a bright idea on the horizon the powers that be should at least warn us that they're putting something in our midst that no one but a relegated few can use of will use. I am sure that each of us have been exposed to 'Going Green' saving fossil fuels all the neat, cutesy saying that are trending subject titles of mountains of blogs and articles but another one should also accompany that informative title of GoingGreen! How about Going Useable and give us things that our residents need like more jobs instead of ways to get to one that's not in your immediate horizon  and probably for most that have little cash or no credit cards. How about better hospitalization and providers instead of ways for us to possible get hit trying to navigate the city streets as I often see the riders do. Not so funny either my friend. But as each of us reflect upon not being selfish and paying it forward this year lets keep people in mind that don't have much to share with others and always keep in mind that we who are blessed with more are required to do more lets just keep our hearts right with our minds and remember that old saying what does a fish need with a bicycle and maybe just maybe you'll see my point! Have a wonderful week and stay prayed up folks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They're bikes. You ride them. They move from one point to another on two wheels (I know because I've been writing them for over three decades). If you don't like them, just walk (I presume you know how). Also, improve your grammar if you intend to write for a living. Your writing is sub-par.

Anonymous said...

Right on Brenda! Finally someone said it, I always believed that bicycles were for white bourgiouse no-gooders, hopping on and off bikes and peddling around town like they own it, thank you for speaking out about this. And why are the bikes red in color only, how about some mocha and chocolate colored bikes. Horrified to learn about the 'skirted woman jumping on the bikes', white tramps! Can everyone say 'Boycot!' Also, please address the rascist undertones of the Duck Tours, I have never seen an inkling of color (you catch my drift) on said tours. And why must they 'quack', why I ask! First the Fat Boys break-up now this! I'm moving to PG County girlfriend.

Respectfully,

Peaches

Anonymous said...

So do you believe that black culture is just intrinsically against biking? That sounds like something out of a Tyler Perry show, and not reality.